If you head over to The Devilled Egg Online Cookery School you’ll find an extensive library of tried and tested recipes to spark your imagination. This week, FOODLOVER are trying our hand at this rather indulgent Mac and Cheese recipe. Not only is it the perfect comfort food for these chillier days, but it’s also packed with delicious and easy to come by seasonal ingredients…
For the cheese sauce:
25g plain flour
250ml whole milk
1 fresh bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon of chilli
Large pinch of salt
100g grated strong hard cheese
200g macaroni pasta
200g brown mushrooms
100g brussels sprouts, quartered
70g bacon, cubed
50g fresh breadcrumbs
40g grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- To make the sauce:
- Place the butter in a sauce pan and melt
- Once it is bubbling, add the plain flour, salt, chilli and bay leaf and cook on medium heat for 2 minutesTake off the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Pop back on the heat and keep stirring until little sauce has thickened, add the cheese and melt, leave to one side
- Cook your pasta and combine with the sauce. Slice and fry off your mushrooms. Once they are starting to brown add brussels sprouts and bacon.
- Fry for another 2-3 minutes and stir into the pasta. Pour into a baking dish,
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle liberally on top of the mac and cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until piping hot and golden brown.
For more seasonal recipes, visit www.thedevilledegg.com