Quince aoli is the perfect accompaniment to crispy squid, served hot from the pan with a pinch of paprika and a few peppery rocket leaves.
FOR THE AOLI
- 3tbsp good quality mayonnaise
- 50g quince poached in sugar syrup
- 1tbsp of quince syrup
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
FOR THE CRISPY SQUID
- 3 medium squid, cleaned and cut into 1cm rings.
- 50g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 1tsp paprika
- Half tsp cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Pinch of paprika
- Fresh rocket leaves
- To make the aoli, blitz the mayonnaise, quince, syrup, garlic and a pinch of salt in a food processor until smooth, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- For the crispy squid, mix the flour, cornflour, paprika, cayenne and some seasoning together in a bowl, add the squid and toss lightly with your hands to coat the squid all over.
- Heat the oil to roughly 180C. You need to cook the squid in batches; fry for a minute or so until crisp and golden then drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of salt, paprika, rocket leaves and lemon wedges.
Recipe is extracted from The Orchard Cook by Stuart Ovenden, Published by Clearview Books. Buy the book here.