Ready in just 20 mins, these noodles are the perfect midweek meal for anyone craving Southeast Asian food.
3 bell peppers
2.5 tsp sesame oil
400g egg noodles
6 spring onions
1 tbsp peanut butter
400g tin of coconut milk
4 tbsp soy sauce
Salt and pepper
- Chop your peppers and carrots into matchsticks. Add them to a wok with a splash of vegetable oil. Cook on high so they start charring. Once the vegetables are charred but still firm, remove them from the heat. Add them to a bowl and add 1.5 tsp of sesame oil to them.
- Put the egg noodles into a separate pan and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Finely chop your spring onions and add them to a bowl. Squeeze over the juice of a lime and add a big pinch of salt. Scrunch everything together – this will pickle the spring onions and take away the strong flavour.
- Back to the wok. First, wipe out the excess oil. Then add a tbsp of peanut butter, the coconut milk and 4 tbsp of soy sauce. Mix everything together and bubble over a high heat until you have a nice thick sauce.
- Drain the noodles and pour them into the wok. Add the sesame vegetables and stir everything together.
- Tip in your spring onions, add a tsp more of sesame oil and mix everything together. Scatter in some coriander and peanuts, and serve up.
MOB Veggie by Ben Lebus, published by Pavilion Books