1 medium ripe pineapple
100g apricot jam
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
For the Passion Fruit Vanilla Cream
2 large passion fruit
150ml double cream
25g caster sugar
Half tsp vanilla extract
- Without removing the skin or top of the pineapple, slice lengthways all the way through the pineapple (including through the leaves of the top) to create 6 wedges and remove the core.
- In a small pan, heat the apricot jam, lime zest and juice and peppercorns over a medium heat for about 3–4 mins until the jam has melted. Set aside.
- To make the passion fruit cream, cut each passion fruit in half, scoop out the pulp and pass through a fine sieve into a bowl, pushing the pulp down firmly to release all the juices. Reserve 1 tbsp of the seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, sugar and vanilla extract, then slowly add the passion fruit juice to the cream until well combined. Gently stir in the reserved passion fruit seeds. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue or a chargrill pan until hot.
- Cook the pineapple wedges on the grill or chargrill pan until char marks appear, 2–3 mins on each side. Brush with the apricot and lime glaze and rotate a couple of times, so that the glaze caramelises all over the surface of the pineapple.
- Remove the pineapple wedges from the heat and serve immediately with a generous helping of the passion fruit cream
Ainsley’s Caribbean Kitchen by Ainsley Harriet, published by Penguin Random House