Jerusalem Artichoke & Bacon Gratin
This creamy gratin is particularly good for busy weeknights as Jerusalem artichokes cook quickly on the stove. The dish only needs a blast under a hot grill to finish it off.
- 75g smoked bacon, diced
- 25g butter
- 200g Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed clean
- 100ml double cream
- 100ml milk
- 20g Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the grill to high. Fry the bacon in the butter until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Peel and slice the artichokes, and put them in a small pan with the cream and milk. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until tender but still holding their shape, about 10 mins.
- Drain the artichokes and put the liquid back onto the stove to reduce. When thickened to a custard consistency, return the artichokes to the pan, add the bacon and season to taste.
- Tip into a gratin dish and top with the Parmesan. Place under the hot grill until golden, about 5–10 mins.
This dish still works well if you leave out the bacon. It is rich, so it’s good for a side dish for 2–4 people depending on what else you are serving. For a light yet indulgent supper, serve alongside a crisp green salad.
Want more ideas for Jerusalem artichokes? Try this Chicken, Jerusalem artichoke and leek filo pie
Tagged bacon, gratin, Jerusalem Artichoke, side, supper