Festive Roast Beef with Ginger & Five-Spice Butter
A rib of beef really is the star of the show when it comes the jaw-dropping joints.
Due to its sheer size, rib of beef can cater for all preferences with the outside of the joint having a nice crust and being little more well done and the centre slices on the rarer end of the scale.
- 1.3kg-1.8kg lean rib of beef or sirloin joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
FOR THE BUTTER
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
FOR THE MARINADE
- 2 tbsp fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
FOR THE STUFFING
- 175g sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 75g wild or common mushrooms, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Prepare the five-spice butter; in a small bowl mix together the butter and the five-spice powder. Set aside until required.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and lightly score the surface of the beef. Transfer to a large shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Mix the marinade ingredients together and rub the mixture all over the joint. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the joint from the refrigerator, shake off any remaining marinade and discard. Smear the surface of the beef with the five-spice butter.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- Make the stuffing. Boil the sweet potatoes for 15-20 mins. Drain, roughly mash and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil and cook the onions and mushrooms for 2-3 mins. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together and shape into 16 balls. Arrange on a foil-lined baking tray and cook for 25-30 mins.
- Serve the beef with stuffing balls, gravy, crispy roasted vegetables and Brussels sprouts with crispy pancetta and sage.
Tagged beef, beef rib, christmas, feeding a crowd, Five spice, ginger, roast