Vegan Almond, Squash and Rye Cake
Fresh fruit and a taste of almond make for a perfect vegan-friendly loaf cake. Ideal for sharing.
FOR THE BASE
300ml nut milk (cashew, almond or preferred)
2.5 tsp cider vinegar
250g sunflower oil
350g squash, peeled and grated
85g ground almonds
330g plain rye flour
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Half tsp Madagascan vanilla natural extract
300g light muscovado sugar
FOR THE FROSTING
140g coconut butter (put the jar in a bowl of hot water to loosen)
125g icing sugar, sifted, plus 1–2 tbsp
1.5 tsp Madagascan vanilla natural extract
350g firm, dairy-free coconut yoghurt
FOR THE BERRY TOPPING
150ml cold water
4g vegetarian gelatine
400g mixed berries (they can all be frozen or fresh; or 200g fresh to decorate and the rest frozen)
- Heat the oven to 180C/gas 4 then grease and double line a 20cm square tin. In a jug, mix the nut milk with the vinegar and leave for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and oil for a few mins until smooth. Mix in the squash, 1.5 tsp of the vanilla extract, the seeds and ground almonds. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, ginger, arrowroot, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, then fold into the squash mixture.
- Once almost combined, pour in the milk and continue to fold until smooth. Scrape into the tin and bake for 40 mins. Turn the heat down to 150C/gas 2 and bake for a further 2 hours (checking after 1 hour 30 mins), until springy and cooked through.
- For the frosting, blend the coconut butter, icing sugar and remaining vanilla extract with a stick blender until smooth. Add 3 tbsp of the yoghurt and blend again. Fold the remaining yoghurt into this mixture (don’t blend or it will become runny), chill for 1 hour to firm up.
- For the berry topping, pour 150ml of cold water into a jug and sprinkle over the vegetarian gelatine. Mix to dissolve. Put 200g fresh berries (or frozen) into a small saucepan over a medium heat for 2 mins, then roughly crush with a potato masher and stir in 1–2 tbsp of icing sugar. Pour in the mixture, turn up the heat and simmer until almost boiling; mix well. Put aside to cool and set for approx. 30 mins. It should become like a conserve.
- To decorate, spread the yoghurt topping over the top, drizzle over the berry topping then finish with the remaining berries.
GET SOCIAL – SHARE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST
Recipe from www.oetker.co.uk
Tagged berries, cake, summer, traybake, Vegan