The ideal roast for sharing with a crowd, try this pulled pork joint with the comforting flavours of cinnamon and ginger.
- 1.6kg shoulder of pork
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1kg new potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 12 plums, halved
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli
- Preheat your oven to 220C/gas 7. Line a roasting tin with foil, large enough to cover the pork later. Unroll the pork joint and place in the roasting tin.
- Mix the salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and sugar together in a bowl. Rub all over the pork. Roll the pork back up again (there is no need to retie the string). Put it in the oven for 30 mins so that it browns beautifully. Reduce the oven to 150C/gas 2. Pour 300ml hot water into the foil, then wrap the foil around the joint and seal tightly. Cook for at least 5 hours or until tender.
- Increase the oven to 220C/gas 7 and uncover the pork. Cook for 10 mins then put it back in the oven to crisp for another 10 mins. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 30 mins. Shred with two forks.
- About 40 mins before the pork is ready, parboil the potatoes. Place them in a roasting tin, season well and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for the remaining time the pork is in the oven, first on the low temperature then on the high temperature until they’re golden.