Potato Pakora Burgers
An Indian twist on the regular veggie burger, these spiced potato patties are coated in a gram flour batter and cooked until the outside is crisp and golden.
- 480g white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2.5cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 80g chickpea (gram) flour
- Half tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 4 small naan breads
- 4 tbsp chutney of choice
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Put the potatoes in a large pan and pour in enough water to cover. Bring to the boil. Add salt and stir in 1 tsp of the turmeric and cook for 12–15 mins until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix together the ingredients for the batter with the remaining turmeric. Whisk in 5–6 tbsp of water to make a smooth, pancake-batter consistency. Leave to rest until needed.
- Drain and return the potatoes to the still-hot pan to dry, then when cool enough to handle, coarsely grate into a mixing bowl. Stir in the spring onions or scallions, chilli, nigella seeds, salt, ginger and butter, allowing the latter to melt in the heat of the potatoes. Season with pepper and stir until combined, then, using your hands, form the mixture into four large patties.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to deep-fry the pakora burgers. The oil must be hot enough that a cube of bread would turn golden in 30 secs. Dip each patty into the batter mixture until thickly coated, then fry two at a time for 1.5–2 mins, or until golden all over. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining pakora burgers. Wrap the naan in foil and warm them in the oven at the same time.
- To serve, top each naan with a spoonful of the chutney. Place a few slices of tomato on top before adding the pakora burger, red onion and a spoonful of the mint raita.
The Part-Time Vegetarian by Nicola Graimes, published by Nourish Books
Tagged burger, Chickpea, Chickpea butter, Chilli, Chutney, ginger, Healthy, indian, Naan breads, nigella seeds, Pakora, potato, Raita, red onion, Turmeric, Vegetarian, Veggie