Perfect for a little sweet, mid-week pick-you-up, these zesty miniature loaves are ideal for afternoon tea or even dessert
FOR THE CAKES
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 2 level tsps baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp milk
FOR THE TOPPING
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
YOU WILL NEED
- 12 hole mini loaf tin tray
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly grease the loaf tin. Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Grate the zest from the lemons, reserve 2 tsp zest to decorate, and add the rest to the mixture. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a large metal spoon, fold into the cake mixture, then fold in the ground almonds. Add the milk and the juice from one lemon and mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the loaf holes and level with a teaspoon. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25-30 mins or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the one of the cakes comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 5 mins then ease out onto a wire rack and leave until completely cool.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon. Mix the lemon juice into the icing sugar a little at a time, until the icing is smooth and runny and will coat the back of a spoon. Discard any remaining lemon juice. Drizzle the icing sugar over the cakes and sprinkle with the reserved zest.