This tender beef brisket is slow cooked, shred and served in soft rolls with caramelised sweet onions. Great for a barbecue gathering.
- 900g lean brisket joint (unrolled)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 200ml good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 3 tbsp Bourbon whiskey, optional
FOR THE ONIONS
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Bread rolls, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
- Heat one-half of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season all over with salt and pepper. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large ovenproof dish with a lid.
- Add the chipotle paste, stock, tomatoes, honey and Bourbon (if using). Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 3–3.5 hours until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sweet onions. Put the onions in a small pan with the water and sweat the onions under a moderate heat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and sugar. Continue to cook the onions for a further 10–15 mins until soft and syrupy.
- Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board, reserving the sauce. ‘Pull’ apart by securing with a fork and shredding the meat with a second fork.
- Pile the shredded brisket in rolls of your choice, spoon over the sauce and serve with the onions.
COOK’S TIP: The brisket can be reheated in a pan on the hob or on the barbecue.