With an extra dollop of yoghurt or cream, this cherry and almond tart is a lovely afternoon treat, served either hot or cold.
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg yolk
For the filling:
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 250g ground almonds
- 75g plain flour
- 8 tbsp black cherry yoghurt
- 250g fresh cherries, stoned
- 25g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp apricot jam, sieved and warmed
1. For the pastry, place the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 3 tbsp cold water and blend until the mixture forms a ball. Turn out and knead lightly. The roll out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 25cm round fluted flan tin. Prick the base and sides with a fork. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
2. Line the pastry case with parchment paper and baking beans and bake blind in a preheated oven at 190C / Gas 5 for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C / Gas 4.
3. For the filling, beat the butter and sugar together using an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then fold in the ground almonds. Fold in the flour and yoghurt.
4. Arrange the cherries in the pastry case and spread over the filling. Scatter over the flaked almonds and bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden.
5. Remove the cherry and almond tart from the oven and brush with the apricot jam. Serve warm with extra yoghurt or cream.