There’s no pastry to make for this recipe, just cut out squares of ready-rolled filo, bake, and fill with custard and glazed red berries – the ideal winter tarts for festive hosting.
- 50g butter
- 270g pack of frozen filo pastry sheets, defrosted (use 3 sheets)
- 150ml double cream
- 400g can of low-fat ready-made custard
- Half an orange, grated rind and 1 tbsp juice
- 450g mixed berries
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- Icing sugar, to decorate
- Warm the butter in a small saucepan until melted and use a little to grease a deep, 12-cup muffin tin. Separate the pastry sheets, brush each one with a little butter and then cut each sheet into 12 rectangles.
- Lay 1 rectangle in each section of the muffin tin, and then arrange a second and third rectangle at a slight angle to the previous one to give a jagged nest-like effect.
- Bake at 180C/gas 4 for 6–8 mins until golden and crisp. Leave in the tin to cool.
- Take the pastry cases carefully out of the tin and arrange on a large serving plate. Whip the cream until it forms soft swirls then fold in the custard and orange rind. Spoon into the pastry cases.
- Warm the jam and orange juice in a small saucepan, stirring until the jam has melted. Add the berries, coat in the jam glaze then spoon into the tarts. Dust the top edges of the pastry with a little sifted icing sugar and serve.