Enjoy the decadent flavours of toffee and apple in this tasty Autumnal treat from Stuart Ovenden.
200g ginger biscuits
6 discovery apples
600g cream cheese
100ml double cream
150g caster sugar
50g plain flour
FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE
300ml pot of double cream
100g light brown sugar
A few drops of vanilla essence
23cm cake tin
- Grease a baking tin with butter and line with parchment, then blitz the biscuits in a food processor until fine and tip into a bowl. Melt the rest of the butter and add.
- Spread the biscuit mix onto the bottom of the tin; use the back of a spoon to flatten it out into an even layer. Put in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.
- Peel, core and finely chop two of the apples. Whisk the cream cheese, double cream, caster sugar, flour and vanilla essence together, then stir in the chopped apple.
- Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and bake for 30-40 minutes, after which the centre of the cheesecake should have a uniform wobble when gently shaken. Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake in the oven until it has cooled.
- To make the toffee, melt the cream, sugar, butter, a pinch of salt and a few drops of vanilla essence together in a pan.
- Bring to a low bubble and keep stirring until the liquid is a thick, golden toffee-colour. Spoon a thin layer of toffee onto the cheesecake.
- Core, slice and arrange the remaining 4 apples on top. Use a pastry brush to thinly coat the apple slices with toffee (this will create a seal and stop them going brown). Drizzle over the remaining toffee before serving.
This recipe is taken from The Orchard Cook by Stuart Ovenden, Published by Clearview Books. Buy it here.