125g brown basmati rice
200g venison steaks, sliced into strips
Olive oil for frying
2 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
100-150g black kale, leaves stripped from their stalks and shredded
2 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tsp paprika
0.5 tsp smoked paprika
100ml white wine
150ml crème fraîche
1 tbsp chopped dill leaves
Salt & pepper
- Boil a kettle of water. Rinse the rice in a sieve, then transfer to a saucepan with a good pinch of salt. Add plenty of boiled water. Bring to the boil and cook until the rice is just tender, approximately 20-25 mins. Drain once cooked.
- Season the venison. Once the rice has been cooking for 15 mins, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. When the pan is very hot, stir-fry the venison strips for approximately 1 min or so, to seal and brown them. Transfer to a plate.
- Lower the pan heat slightly. Add a splash more oil, the shallots, kale and mushrooms. Stir-fry on a medium heat for approximately 3-4 mins, until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the venison back to the pan. Stir-fry for 1 more min. Add both the paprikas, then the wine. Let the mixture bubble until the wine is almost all absorbed.
- Add the crème fraîche. Let it gently bubble for a couple of mins to thicken the sauce. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and season to taste. Stir in the dill. Serve with the cooked and drained rice.