600g King Edwards, thinly sliced
400g smoked haddock, cut into pieces
350ml half fat cream
A handful of spinach
2 tbsp chopped chives
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
A clove of garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper
- To blanch the potatoes, place a large bowl of ice-cold water on the kitchen counter. Add the potatoes to a pan of water then bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to a fast simmer, checking potatoes periodically. Cook for around 8 mins until soft.
- Remove from heat, drain and plunge potatoes into the bowl of ice-water. Leave the potatoes until they are cool to touch before thinly slicing them.
TO MAKE THE GRATIN
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Rub the inside of a gratin dish with garlic, then layer with the sliced potato, then a layer of fish and spinach, season and sprinkle over a pinch of nutmeg, pepper and chives. Season each layer as you go until you reach the top of the dish, finishing with a layer of potato.
- Pour the cream, butter and garlic clove into a saucepan, season a little, bring to just under the boil then turn off the heat. Remove the garlic clove then pour over the gratin. Cover the top with the parmesan and chives and bake for 20 mins until golden.