Pumpkins aren’t just for carving – they’re delicious too! Try making some of these tasty pumpkin cupcakes and decorate them with your own scary decorations.
For the cupcakes
- 160g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Half tsp cinnamon
- Half tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Quarter tsp nutmeg
- Quarter tsp salt
- 250g grated pumpkin
- 100g cup sugar
- 60g cup brown sugar, packed
- 100ml cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
For the orange icing
- 150g butter
- 225g icing sugar
- Half an orange, juice & zest
- A few drops of orange food colouring (optional)
You will need
- A 12-cup baking tray
- 12 colourful cupcake cups
- Edible decorations of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 190C/ 170C fan/gas 5 and line your cupcake tray with your cupcake cups.
- Meanwhile, put all your dry ingredients into a large bowl: that’s the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil, grated pumpkin and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir using a spatula until fully combined.
- Place a spoonful of batter into each baking cup until the batter runs out. Get an adult to place the tray into the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 mins.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, make the buttercream! Cream the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. You may need an adult to help you with this. Beat in the remaining orange zest and add a little of the remaining orange juice. Don’t add too much, as it might curdle. Add a few drops of food colouring (if using).
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before adding the icing