Butter for greasing
500g large potatoes, skin on, sliced into 5mm slices, then each slice cut in half
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus a few extra leaves
Salt and pepper
200ml single cream
20g Parmesan, finely grated
30g Gruyère, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6. Liberally butter a large loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper or a greaseproof liner.
- Rinse the potato slices in a bowl of cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper or a clean tea towel.
- Sprinkle the chopped garlic and thyme leaves over the bottom of the tin. Place the potato slices in layers across the tin, placing the straight sides against the edges of the tin to help keep the layers even. Season with salt and pepper and repeat the layering all the way up the tin, seasoning each layer, and keeping them as flat as possible.
- Pour the cream evenly over the top and sprinkle over the grated cheeses.
- Cover with foil, making sure the foil doesn’t touch the
cheese,and bake for 30 mins. Remove the foil and bake for another 25–30 mins until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is bubbling and brown. Sprinkle with the reserved thyme leaves and serve.
The Tin & Traybake Cookbook by Sam Gates, published by Robinson