These scrumptious no-bake crispy squares are perfect for anyone who loves Nutella as they are topped with a generous chocolate layer of hazelnut ganache.
For the praline:
50g/2oz caster sugar
50g/2oz blanched hazelnuts
For the caramel:
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp glucose
115g ice crispies
50g chopped roasted hazelnuts
For the topping:
100g plain chocolate
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
40g chopped roasted hazelnuts
1. Grease a 20cm/8in square cake tin, then line it with baking parchment.
2. To prepare the hazelnut praline, heat the sugar in a pan until melted. Do not stir the pan as the sugar is cooking but swirl it to ensure that the sugar does not burn. Cook until golden brown in colour.
3. Spread the hazelnuts out on a silicone mat or greased baking sheet and pour over the syrup. Leave to cool, then blitz in a food processor or blender to fine crumbs.
4. For the caramel, place the golden syrup, glucose, marshmallows and butter in a pan and heat gently until melted. Stir in the hazelnut praline powder, then add the rice crispies and hazelnuts and stir to combine.
5. Spoon the mixture into the tin and press out with the back of a spoon into an even layer. Leave to cool.
6. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and add the plain chocolate broken into pieces, and then the butter. Stir until melted and combined. Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread. The mixture will thicken.
7. Spread the chocolate mixture over the top of the crispy cake and sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts. Leave in the refrigerator to set for 3 hours then cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
From The Perfect Afternoon Tea Recipe Book, published by Lorenz Books