3 large egg whites
150g granulated sugar
0.25 tsp cream of Tartar
0.5 tsp vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 110C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, begin beating the egg whites on low speed until they begin to foam, form small, tight bubbles, and turn opaque.
- Over the course of 1 to 2 mins, gradually increase the speed to medium while slowly adding the sugar and cream of tartar. Turn the mixer to medium-high and beat until glossy, stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with the piping tip of your choice with the meringue. Pipe the meringue onto the prepared baking sheets as kisses, rosettes, or small clouds.
- Garnish as desired and bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 mins, until the meringues are crisp on the outside and easily peel off the parchment paper.
Flavour Add-Ins: Add 0.5 tsp vanilla bean seeds, grated citrus zest, almond extract, or rose extract at the end of mixing, or sift 3-4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and fold into the finished meringue before baking.
Crunchy Toppers: Sprinkle chopped pistachios, crispy chocolate pearls, sprinkles, freeze-dried raspberries, or chopped chocolate on top of the piped meringue before baking.
Swirls: Dollop 0.5 tsp berry jam on top of the piped meringue and swirl with a toothpick before baking.
Striped Kisses: Before adding the meringue to the piping bag, partially invert the piping bag and paint stripes on the inside using a clean paintbrush and gel food colouring. Fill the bag with meringue, pipe, and bake.
Gold Platters: Mix gold luster dust with a tiny bit of vodka or other clear alcohol to create a thin paste. Dip a clean paintbrush into the gold mixture and flick it over the baked meringues.
Icing on the Cake by Tessa Huff