Light and vibrant, they make for a brilliant starter or canapé on a summers evening and can be prepped in advance. Mix and match your vegetables depending on what you have to hand.
FOR THE VEGETABLE WRAPS
- 1 medium raw carrot
- 1 medium raw beetroot
- Handful of greens (kale, spinach, chard), roughly chopped
- Handful of soft herbs (parsley, dill, mint) roughly chopped
- 25g butter or coconut oil, melted
- Half tsp lemon zest
- Generous pinch of seasoning
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 8 sheets of filo pastry
FOR THE HERB DIP
- Handful of parsley
- Handful of mint
- Handful of dill
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of ground almonds
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Begin by making the filling. Use a spiralizer, julienne peeler or a sharp knife to cut the carrot and beetroot into thin strips. Add the chopped greens and chopped herbs. Season with salt, pepper and some lemon zest. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and allow the vegetables to soften a little.
- Lay four of the filo sheets out on a table individually and brush each of them with some of the melted butter or coconut oil. Season the filo with salt and pepper, a little lemon zest and some chopped herbs. Lay the remaining four sheets over the top and press down to seal.
- Cut the filo sheets into quarters, leaving 16 squares. Put a good amount of the vegetable mix one-quarter of the way up each strip, fold the edges and roll the wraps up to create a strudel shape, sealing the end with either butter or coconut oil.
- Pop the little wraps into the oven for 12–14 mins, or until golden and crisp. In the meantime, blend together the ingredients for the dip, adding enough olive oil to make it spoonable. Season and spoon into a bowl for dipping. Serve the dip with the crunchy wraps and a handful of salad.