This silken soup tastes as if it has been slow cooked, with a warming spice blend, rich coconut milk, and fragrant herbs.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp jerk seasoning
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 800ml hot vegetable stock
- Generous handful of coriander leaves
- Juice of 1 unwaxed lime
- Pinch of sea salt flakes and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium–high heat and cook the sweet potatoes, onion, yellow pepper, and jerk seasoning for 3-4 mins, stirring constantly, until the onion has begun to soften.
- Pour in the coconut milk and vegetable stock, and loosely cover with a lid. Simmer for 10 mins, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the coriander leaves, then blend until completely smooth using a hand blender or jug blender.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and season with sea salt and black pepper. Garnish with coriander leaves just before serving.
TIP: Make your own jerk seasoning by blendeing ground chillies, thyme, allspice, cinnamon, and hot cayenne pepper.
15 Minute Vegan on a Budget by Katy Beskow, published by Quadrille