Now everyone can enjoy the big warm hug that is a bowl of chicken noodle soup. This vegan version uses jackfruit to add texture to this authentic and flavourful broth.
- 400g jackfruit
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 0.25 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 500ml water, plus 2 tbsp
- Zest of half lemon
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 85g dried spaghetti, broken
- 30g baby spinach, finely sliced
- A pinch of sea salt
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and cut each one into thin slices from the longest point of the triangle. Put the sliced jackfruit in a bowl with the tamari, white pepper
andnutritional yeast and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a large soup pot or saucepan and heat over
a lowheat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves and thyme and sauté for 5 mins. After 5 mins, add 2 tbsp of water.
- Cook covered for around 5
mins,until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, add the second tbsp of olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the jackfruit and sauté for 5 mins, pulling it apart gently with a fork as you cook. Stir the shredded jackfruit into the vegetables, add the lemon zest, stock andremaining water, and bring the soup up to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins. Add the broken spaghetti, cooking for another 7 mins. Remove the bay leaves and thyme, stir in the baby spinach and season with sea salt.
Great Vegan Meals for the Carnivorous Family by Amanda Logan, published by Page Street Publishing