Make your own Christmas pudding ahead of time and get stuck-in to stir up Sunday.
This Christmas pudding recipe couldn’t be simpler to prepare in advance and can be adjusted to suit your own personal taste.
1 apple, grated
75g candied peel
100g glacé cherries
1 orange, zest and juice
100g butter (unsalted)
165g unrefined dark muscovado sugar
100g self-raising white flour
30g ground almonds
- Put the dried fruit, brandy, juice and zest of the orange in a bowl. Cover and soak overnight.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Grease a 1.25 litre pudding basin and line the base with non-stick baking parchment.
- Spoon the pudding mixture into the basin and press down well.
- Cover with a pleated piece of buttered foil with the buttered side towards the pudding.
- Fold the foil over the edge of the basin and tie with kitchen string so no steam can escape. Make a string handle to lift the hot basin out of the pan.
- Put the basin in a large pan. Pour in boiling water to come half way up the basin. Cover, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 hours, topping up regularly with more boiling water.
- Leave the pudding to cool then lift from the pan. Replace the string, foil and paper with a fresh lot. Store in a cool, dark place until needed.
- Before serving, steam in exactly the same way for 1.5 hours.