Brazilian Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Curry
Sweet potato is ideal for adding sustenance to a vegetarian curry. Serve with black rice for a nutty taste and firm texture.
- 2 tbsp coconut or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely grated
- 4cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g can of coconut milk
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 550g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 1 large courgette, cut into chunks
- 85g kale, tough stalks removed and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 large handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Black rice or brown basmati rice
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 5 mins, stirring often, until softened. Turn the heat down slightly, add the garlic, ginger, red pepper and half the chillies, and cook for another 3 mins, stirring often.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock, and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down slightly, stir in the tomato purée, turmeric and cayenne pepper, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins. Add the sweet potatoes, return to a gentle boil and cook for 10 mins, part covered, until almost tender.
- Add the courgette, kale and tomatoes, and simmer part covered for another 3–5 mins or until the vegetables are cooked through. Stir the curry occasionally to prevent it sticking and add a splash more stock or water if the sauce looks dry.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with coriander and the remaining chilli, and serve with rice and a wedge of lime by the side.
The Part-Time Vegetarian: Flexible Recipes to go (Nearly) Meat-Free by Nicola Graimes, published by Nourish Books
Tagged Brazilian, Chilli, coconut milk, Coconut oil, coriander, courgette, curry, dinner, Healthy, pepper s, red pepper, seasonal, sweet potato, Turmeric, Vegan, Vegetarian