Pecan-studded Sweet Potato Brownies
Sweet potato is a great way to add natural sweetness to bakes and offers the perfect gooey texture needed for a good brownie.
- 1 large sweet potato, at least 350g in weight
- 150g pecans
- 50g soft pitted dates, ideally medjool
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 50g rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 40g light tahini
- 3 eggs
- 160g coconut sugar or soft brown sugar
- Pinch of sea salt, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Roast the sweet potato on a baking sheet for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until tender in the centre and slightly caramelised on the outside.
- Meanwhile, toast the pecans on a baking sheet for 5–6 mins until lightly browned. Cool, then roughly chop.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/gas 4. Grease a 28 x 18cm brownie tin with a little rapeseed oil and line with baking parchment.
- Let the potato cool until just warm, then peel and weigh out 200g of the flesh into a blender. Add the dates and blend until smooth, then transfer the mixture to a heatproof bowl with the chocolate and set over a pan of barely simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted. Add the oil and tahini, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs, coconut sugar and salt on a medium–high speed for 5 mins, or until pale and almost doubled in volume, then whisk in the chocolate mixture slowly until well blended. Fold through most of the pecans.
- Scrape the mix into the tin, gently levelling off the top. Scatter the remaining pecans over the top. Sprinkle with a large pinch of sea salt, then bake for 22–25 mins, or until puffed and looking dry on top.
- Cool in the tin before slicing into squares, or resist the temptation to be orderly and cut into randomly sized pieces. Chill any leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days.
Nourish Cakes by Marianne Stewart, published by Quadrille Publishing Ltd.
Tagged baking, brownie, cakes, chocolate, coconut sugar, dairy-free, dark chocolate, dates, free from, gluten-free, Healthy, pecan, rapeseed oil, sweet potato, tahini