Grilled Sardines with Fennel, Asparagus & Olive Salad
We’re holding on tight to the summer vibes with these beautifully seasonal grilled sardines and fresh fennel, asparagus and olive salad. Quick and simple, this recipe takes next to no time.
- 1 kg large whole fresh sardines
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed
- Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 90g pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 large handful flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 large handful dill fronds, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- To prepare the salad, using a mandoline or peeler, very thinly slice the fennel into lengthways strips. Place in a medium bowl. Add the lemon zest and juice and toss to coat.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus stalks in half crossways. Depending on their thickness, cut in half or quarters lengthways, to make thin sticks. Blanch the asparagus for 10 secs, or until just tender. Drain and refresh in iced water. Drain.
- Add the asparagus and remaining ingredients to the fennel and toss to combine. To prepare the chilli oil, combine the chilli and oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Rinse the sardines under cold running water to remove any remaining scales. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Heat a chargrill pan over medium–high heat. Drizzle the sardines with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the sardines for 2–3 mins on each side, until golden brown and just cooked through.
- Arrange the salad on serving plates, top with the sardines.
The Beauty Chef by Carla Oates, published by Hardie Grant
Tagged Cornish Sardines, fennel, fish, Grilled fish, Lunch, Olive, Salad, sardines