Fresh Tomato Salad
Whilst tomatoes are in peak season, why not try Gill Meller’s simple yet stunning tomato salad.
- 1kg ripe tomatoes of different sizes and colours
- Half a red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 large handful of basil
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First, prepare your tomatoes. Using a very sharp knife, cut the tomatoes from top to bottom into 1cm slices. Season all the tomato slices lightly with salt and black pepper, then arrange them onto a large serving platter, starting with the larger tomato slices at the bottom and layering up so that the smaller ones are on the top.
- Scatter the onion slices over the tomatoes, followed by all the basil leaves.
- Make a dressing by combining the oil, red wine vinegar and sugar in a small jug and whisking until the sugar dissolves. Season the dressing with salt and pepper, and stir again. Drizzle the dressing all over the tomatoes and onions, then allow the salad to rest for 5–10 mins before serving.
Gather: Everyday seasonal recipes from a year in our landscapes by Gill Meller, published by Quadrille
Tagged Salad, summer, Tomato