Fiery Oysters with Tarragon Sauce
Turn up the heat for your romantic dinner with this beautifully intense oyster recipe.
- 6 fresh oysters, cleaned
- 30g light brown sugar
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 tbsp tarragon or cider vinegar
- Half a green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Half a small red onion, finely chopped
- Few sprigs of fresh tarragon
- Place the sugar, lime juice and vinegar into a small pan, and heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat, add the chilli, onion and a couple of roughly chopped tarragon sprigs. Leave to cool.
- Lay the oysters onto a metal steamer and place into a large pan, covered with boiling water.
- Steam for 8–10 mins over a medium heat until the oysters start to open.
- Using a cloth to protect your hands, ease the shells open. Take a knife and loosen the flesh from the shell, leaving the oyster meat in the deeper half of each shell. Discard the upper shell.
- Add any cooking liquor to the tarragon sauce, then spoon over the oysters.
- Garnish with the remaining tarragon and serve immediately.
Tagged canape, Chilli, fish, oysters, seafood, Shucking oysters, Spicy, Starter, Tarragon