Chargrilled Leek, Courgette & Herb Salad
This delicious salad really shows off young baby leeks, their sweetness combining beautifully with the smoky depth lent by chargrilling.
- 400g baby leeks
- 400g courgettes
- Zest of half a lemon
- 12 basil leaves, shredded
- Small handful of parsley, chopped
- 20g pine nuts, toasted
- Half tsp honey
- Half tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of rocket
- Salt and pepper
- Remove any tough outer leaves from the baby leeks. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the leeks for 2 mins. Drain and refresh under cold water. Drain once again and pat dry with kitchen paper to remove any excess water.
- Slice the courgettes lengthways into eight and remove the seeds with a sharp knife. Place in a large bowl with the leeks, drizzle with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking and add the vegetables in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2–3 mins on each side until lightly charred and keep to one side.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the honey, mustard, olive oil and vinegar with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chargrilled vegetables, adding the herbs, lemon zest and rocket. Toss together well. Taste to check the seasoning and tip onto a serving dish, sprinkling with pine nuts just before you serve the salad.
Tagged baby leeks, basil, chargrilled, courgette, English mustard, honey, leeks, lemon, light dinner, Lunch, pine nuts, rocket, Salad, seasonal, side, vegetable, winter