Blueberry Cream Scones
These beautiful buttermilk scones and crumbly and creamy. With a hint of sweet blueberry they a delicious with lashings of clotted cream.
- 250g plain flour
- Half tsp salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 90g cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 80ml fresh cream
- Half tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 175g fresh blueberries
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingers.
- Stir the eggs, cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest together. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, then stir in the blueberries.
- Place the dough on a floured counter. Pat it into a 3cm thick rectangle. Use a cookie cutter or cup to cut the dough into circles.
- Brush the scones with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 mins, or until lightly browned and a cake tester inserted into a scone comes out dry. Cool completely on a rack.
Tagged afternoon tea, baking, blueberry, buttermilk, cakes, clotted cream, recipe, Scones, sweet